Lakeland Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Boasting stunning landscapes, tropical weather, and renowned motorcycle gatherings, the State of Florida has long been a favored destination for motorcycle enthusiasts, ranking among the states with the highest number of registered motorcycles in the nation. Unfortunately, Florida consistently ranks among the states with the highest motorcycle fatality rates annually as well. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Lakeland motorcycle incident, you could be entitled to compensation for your losses, or for the physical and emotional toll endured.
A motorcycle crash can profoundly affect the life of a victim or their surviving family members, leaving lasting physical and emotional scars. The loss of a loved one in a motorcycle crash can cause a lifetime of grief. Although no compensation can erase the trauma, Florida law provides avenues for holding responsible parties liable and seeking damages for injuries or losses resulting from a Lakeland motorcycle accident.
Adam Kemp, a Lakeland motorcycle accident attorney, is dedicated to aiding those affected by motorcycle accidents. As a local personal injury lawyer, attorney Kemp is committed to guiding injured individuals through the intricate medical and legal processes necessary for healing and holding negligent parties accountable. Let Kemp Personal Injury Law’s team assist you in securing the compensation you deserve for your injuries or losses from a Lakeland motorcycle accident. Contact us today by calling (863) 225-0254 or contacting us online to schedule your free case evaluation.
What Causes Lakeland Motorcycle Accidents?
Sadly, the unique experience enjoyed while riding a motorcycle is precisely what increases the risk of serious injury for motorcyclists. Even if a rider dons all the available safety gear, a motorcycle still fails to offer any protection in the event of a crash, making you 30 times more likely to suffer fatal injuries in a motorcycle accident than your passenger vehicle counterpart. Data collected by the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV) tells us that there were 303 motorcycle accidents in Polk County, resulting in 255 injuries and 22 deaths in 2022. Among the most common contributing factors in a Lakeland motorcycle accident are:
- Driver inexperience. To legally operate a motorcycle in the State of Florida a rider must complete an approved safety course. Unfortunately, not all riders abide by this legal requirement. Consequently, 30 percent of all fatal motorcycle crashes in the Sunshine State involve an unlicensed rider.
- Speed. Year after year, speed routinely contributes to one in three fatal motor vehicle accidents nationwide. The faster a motorcycle is traveling, the greater the likelihood of the rider suffering serious injury or death if a collision occurs.
- Hazardous road conditions. The dual wheel design of a motorcycle makes it particularly sensitive to changes in the pavement and hazards on the roadway. When roads are not designed well or maintained properly, riders face additional challenges navigating the roadway. The same applies when a rider encounters construction, obstacles, or water on the road, increasing the likelihood of a crash.
- Impaired drivers. Statistics relating to impaired driving while operating a motorcycle are sobering, with over 40 percent of motorcyclists killed in single vehicle crashes being impaired. Moreover, motorcyclists involved in fatal crashes are the most likely of all vehicle types to be impaired by alcohol.
- Failing to recognize a motorcyclist. Despite concerted efforts by advocacy groups and law enforcement agencies to make motorists aware of the presence of motorcycles, drivers of other vehicles continue to admit that they failed to even notice a motorcycle just prior to an accident.
Does Florida’s No-Fault Insurance Law Apply to a Lakeland Motorcycle Accident?
Florida is one of a handful of states that have a “no-fault” insurance law requiring drivers to carry a minimum of $10,000 in Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance coverage. The purpose of the law is to simplify the process of receiving compensation and medical treatment for an injured victim when a motor vehicle accident occurs. With no-fault insurance, the driver’s own insurance covers medical bills and lost wages (up to the maximum) without regard to who caused the collision. Florida’s no-fault law, however, does not apply to motorcycles. As such, an injured victim or surviving family member in the case of a fatal accident may pursue compensation through a traditional personal injury lawsuit which does require a victim to prove that the defendant’s negligence caused or contributed to the accident.
What Compensation Might Be Available in a Lakeland Motorcycle Accident Case?
You could be entitled to both economic and non-economic damages for the injuries you sustained in a Lakeland motorcycle accident through a traditional personal injury lawsuit. Economic damages compensate a victim for direct expenses related to the accident, including things such as:
- Doctor and hospital expenses.
- Rehabilitation and therapy costs.
- Repair or replacement of your motorcycle.
Non-economic damages address the more subjective, indirect costs associated with the injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident and may include compensation for things such as:
- Past and future lost income.
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
If you lost a spouse, parent, or child in a rideshare accident, you may also be entitled to compensation in Florida wrongful death lawsuit for things such as the loss of companionship, care, and support and the loss of future earnings.
How Can an Experienced Lakeland Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help?
If you were injured, or lost a family member, in a Lakeland motorcycle accident, you need an experienced and dedicated Lakeland motorcycle accident lawyer on your side as soon as possible to ensure that you are fully compensated by the at-fault party or parties.
In his previous roles as both a prosecuting attorney and an associate at one of the largest personal injury firms, attorney Adam Kemp gained invaluable knowledge and skills that he now uses to help injured victims pursue justice. At Kemp Personal Injury Law, we take pride in the relationships we develop with our clients and in the results we achieve for those clients. We would be honored to put our resources, experience, and commitment to work ensuring that you are justly compensated for your physical injuries, emotional trauma, or enduring loss.
If you were injured in a Lakeland motorcycle accident, or you lost a family member in one, contact an experienced Lakeland motorcycle lawyer at Kemp Personal Injury Law to discuss your legal options. It is our mission to make sure that victims who were injured in a preventable motorcycle accident are fully and fairly compensated by the responsible party or parties. Contact the team today for your free initial consultation by calling 863-225-0254 or by filling out our convenient online contact form.