Winter Haven Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
The term “slip and fall accident” may not conjure up thoughts of serious injuries, but the reality is that serious, even fatal, injuries can be sustained in a slip and fall accident. In fact, falls are the second leading cause of unintentional injury deaths in the United States. When you visit a business to shop, eat, sleep, or conduct any other type of business, the owner of the establishment owes you a duty of care that is intended to keep you reasonably safe while you are on the premises. If the owner failed to uphold that duty, and you were injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
The key to ensuring that your rights are protected, and the responsible party is held accountable is to work with experienced Winter Haven slip and fall accident lawyer Adam Kemp. At Kemp Personal Injury Law, we are dedicated to helping injured victims and surviving family members pursue justice when wrongful or negligent conduct causes or contributes to a slip and fall accident.
As Winter Haven’s hometown personal injury lawyer, Adam Kemp has helped hundreds of injured victims in Polk County to pursue justice and secure compensation for their injuries. The team at Kemp Personal Injury Law understands the numerous challenges a victim faces following a slip and fall accident, from finding medical care to navigating the legal system. We want you to know that you are not alone. Allow us to put our exceptional skills, resources, and experience to work for you to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation to which you are entitled for all your injuries following a slip and fall accident.
What Causes Winter Haven Slip and Fall Accidents?
A slip and fall accident is precisely what the term implies, and fall that is caused by a slip or trip and that results in injury to the victim. While an unlimited number of circumstances can lead to a slip and fall accident, common scenarios include:
- Aisle obstructions. A tripping hazard results when a merchant allows boxes to remain in an aisle while stocking shelves.
- Uneven surfaces. When floors are improperly installed or maintained, chips, cracks, and warping can occur, resulting in an uneven surface. That, in turn, can cause a trip and fall accident.
- Unsecured mats, rugs, or carpeting. When mats, rugs, or carpeting are not properly installed or become loose, it creates a serious tripping hazard for anyone walking over the surface.
- Liquid spills. Liquid spills of any kind that are not cleaned up promptly create a slip and fall hazard for customers, shoppers, diners, and other visitors to a property.
- Unsafe handrails or stairs. When stairs and/or handrails are improperly built or not adequately maintained, they can become loose, develop cracks, or become warped, which increases the risk that a visitor will slip and fall while navigating the stairs.
- Water or ice on a walkway. Water or ice on sidewalks, driveways, and other walkways must be removed within a reasonable amount of time to prevent patrons from slipping and falling.
- Trip hazards such as exposed wiring. Exposed wiring, electrical cords, and other tripping hazards should be removed immediately to prevent a trip and fall accident.
- Inadequate lighting. When the lighting at an establishment is not functioning or is inadequate it increases the chance of a slip and fall accident.
Is a Winter Haven Property Owner Responsible for a Slip and Fall Accident?
Under the area of the law known as premises liability, a duty of care is imposed on the owner (or occupier) of a property in the State of Florida. Because of this legal duty, the owner of a property can be held legally responsible for injuries sustained in a slip and fall accident if the owner breaches that duty of care.
The nature of the duty of care owed to you as a visitor to a property depends on how the law classifies you. In Florida, a “public invitee” is owed the highest duty of care. You are considered a public invitee if the property is open to the public and the owner/occupier stands to gain financially from your presence on the property. Common examples of a public invitee include a visitor to an amusement park, a diner at a restaurant, or a shopper at a retail store. The duty of care owed to a public invitee requires the owner/occupier to promptly remove or repair any known hazardous conditions on the property as well as remove or repair hazardous conditions that the owner should have known about. If a property owner fails to fulfill the duty of care owed to a visitor, and the visitor is injured in a slip and fall accident, the owner can be held responsible for injuries the victim sustained in the accident.
What Are Some Common Slip and Fall Injuries?
Slip and fall accidents can result in serious, life-altering injuries to a victim. Along with severe physical injuries, a slip and fall accident can cause lasting emotional trauma to the victim. Common slip and fall injuries include:
- Broken and fractured bones
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- Internal organ damage.
- Spinal cord injuries
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement.
What Compensation Might Be Available in a Winter Haven Slip and Fall Accident Case?
If you were injured in a Winter Haven slip and fall accident, the owner or occupier of the property may be liable for both economic and non-economic damages that are intended to compensate an injured victim for both the objective, out-of-pocket expenses and the subjective, psychological injuries caused by the accident such as:
- Doctor and hospital bills
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Lost wages to date and projected future lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
If you lost a spouse, parent, or child in a fatal slip and fall accident, you may also be entitled to pursue compensation from the property owner/occupier in a Florida wrongful death lawsuit.
How an Experienced Winter Haven Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Can Help
If you suffered injuries in a Winter Haven slip and fall accident you need an experienced Winter Haven slip and fall accident lawyer on your side to protect your rights and aggressively pursue compensation from the responsible party or parties. You need Winter Haven slip and fall accident lawyer Adam Kemp.
As a former prosecuting attorney and associate at one of the largest personal injury firms in America, attorney Adam Kemp has the experience, resources, and tenacity needed to fight for you and your future. At Kemp Personal Injury Law, we are committed to building a personal relationship with each client. That’s why hundreds of clients throughout Polk County have turned to us for help after being injured in an accident. Let us put our experience to work to help you.
If you were injured in a Winter Haven slip and fall accident, or you lost a family member in one, contact an experienced Winter Haven slip and fall lawyer at Kemp Personal Injury Law to discuss your legal options. It is our mission to make sure that injured victims are fully and fairly compensated by the responsible party or parties. Contact the team today for your free initial consultation by calling 863-225-0254 or by filling out our convenient online contact form.